Friday, January 16, 2009

My First Night Out

Hi there all! Last night the group went out for the first time.  We went to two bars, one called Oliver Gallery and the other Carpe Diem.  They are basically bars for the tourists or American students that are in Alicante.  Once exams finish at the University at the end of the month there will be more Spaniards there. My friend Kelsey and I made friends with everyone we saw!  Someone stole Kelsey's coat from off the hook and I was really nervous because I have been borrowing coats from my host mom and I was afraid I might lose hers.  BUt thank goodness I did not.  We had a lot of fun!! In the bar, they played all American songs, such as Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! and YMCA. When YMCA came on, Kelsey and I started talking in british accents as to not be mistaken for American girls.  We were incredibly embarrassed.  American things here are so common but very cliché so it is always hilarious to see/hear them.  Here when we toast we say "Salud, dinero, y amor" which means Health money and love.  It is a beautiful toast!  Last night when I left my house my mom made me take a banana with me because she said if you eat bananas right before you drink and you stick with the same drink all night you will never be hung over, here we say "Tengo resaca." for I'm hung over.  Finally got the Wireless set up at the Univ.  but I will be all weekend without internet so I'll talk to you all on Monday.  Today we told jokes in Spanish in class.  I tried to tell my one about why did the turtle cross the road...to get to the Shell station.  BUt here no one can understand it.  :(
My mom Aurora says I speak the best out of any of the 6 students she has had which makes me really happy.  Yesterday we visited Auroras daughter Ana and her husband and daughter Marina, who is sooooooo adorable. Pictures coming later.  

LOVE YOU ALL!!!

2 comments:

  1. Carpe diem (sieze the day) is one of Matt's favorite sayings - Kevin Slaten says it all the time. Can't wait to see more pictures. Love, Mom Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. bryn
    Be careful! You need to be really careful in any bar you go to. It makes me nervous to hear about you having too much to drink. Please be careful. Watch yourself and your things. Love you and worry about you. Mom

    ReplyDelete