Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Observation Walk

Sometimes, I really like to go for what I call an "Observation Walk." DC is a great city, actually maybe the best city, to do this in. Basically I just walk with my iPod for as long as I can go until I get bored then try and remember some funny or interesting things I saw. Here's a list of some great things I saw today on my dusk walk all around the monuments.

-about 34 planes take off from Reagan and almost take out the Lincoln Memorial
-about 100 flags flying at half-mast in honor of the death of Sen. Robert Byrd
-at the Washington Monument, I saw the sun set over the Lincoln Memorial, reflecting pool, and WWII memorial
-from the Washington Mon, I realized you can see the Jefferson Memorial, Potomac River, Lincoln Memorial, WWII memorial, Vietnam Vets memorial, Korean War Memorial, White House, and Capitol all depending on where you stand at the monument
-a set of identical twin guys wearing yellow shirts and jeans (reminded me of Ravi)
-about 500 flags being set up for the 4th of July
-about 9340823759784 tourists
-a family of a dad and 3 little kids all dressed in their complete Sunday best entering through White House security and being allowed into the building (if only I knew who they were!)
-for some reason they had all the closest lookout points closed to the WH
-a Caterpillar construction machine in the WH lawn
-about 30 games of softball being played all over any green lawn, anywhere
-and finally, a building I have never noticed-the federation of American States building that has all the names of all the countries in the Americas on it-US, Brazil, Haiti, Cuba, Uruguay, Colombia, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, you get the picture
-this was complete with a statue of Simon Bolivar


I don't feel like a tourist anymore! StL landscape doesn't look anything like here, but I still miss it. :(



SO WHO'S COMING TO VISIT?!!!?

1 comment: