Friday, October 1, 2010

My new job(s)!

So I will be teaching in a secondary school, mostly kids from age 12-16, for the school year, and there's the possibility to renew my contract if I really want to (gah my mom would kill me). I will be in the math, science, and English classes acting as a TA, basically. These three subjects are taught in English. So far, my schedule is looking pretty great. I do a full day on Monday and Tuesday and Wed/Thursday a half day and I don't have to work on Fridays! I havent set up any tutoring appointments yet. I have, however, started in the classroom. Today I went into a math class of 7th graders with a teacher named Victoria, and an English class with the coordinator of the English program, Teresa. I feel very comfortable there and I like everyone I have met so far. They are much less formal here, with the teacher/student relationship. You can yell at kids and grab them if you really need them to be quiet. And the students kind of yell back. I think thats more just Spanish culture. Everybody tries to talk over everybody else, haha! The kids call the teachers by their first names, all the time. The teachers wear polos and jeans or a sweater and jeans, nothing formal. I brought stuff I know I'm never going to wear. :/

The kids had fun asking me questions in English about Missouri..."Is there a beach" "If you go to New York, how do you go?" "Do you know any famous people?" " "In Missouri, does you eat hamburgers all the time?" but it sounds like "Een Meesoori, duhss yu eht hambehrgehrs aw de tiiiime?" "Ehh, what food do you dehtest? (detest! what a word to know in English) Their accents are very very thick but the more they speak in English, the more they learn. So far, I like it a lot.

Did I mention I loved how cheap it is in this city? My stipend will suffice! Plus tapas are free if you order a drink. They just GIVE THEM TO YOU. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment