Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bolognia

Bolognia to me sounds like a food, but REALLY it is a plan that the European Union has for all the European Universities so that they will all be valued the same to make the educational system the same in all the countries.  So ever since we got here there have been signs up ALL over the Univ contra (against) bolognia, and today they hare having their second class strike, so there are no real university classes, but since I am taking classes mostly with foregin kids anyway, I still have class.  There have been people camping (with tents, cooking, living) in the university buildings since we got here in protest.  Now they are camping on the lawns now that it is getting warmer, but its still cold!  And so today they are having their second big protest and are striking school today.  The problem is as a foreigner its hard for me to really understand what Bolognia is..but all I understand about it is it would make a bachelors degree (or equivalent here) basically invalid and you would have to get a masters to count for anything, thus delaying graduation and making the school system 5 or 6 years.  I probably would be against it too, if it affected me.
I've been hearing about all these world tragedies like the shooting in Alabama and the school shooting in Germany and so I've been talking with Aurora and with Armando a lot about violence.  Today Armando and I had a 25 min conversation about drug trade and how it causes all the violence in Mexico and all these countries...great talk.  
Then last night Aurora and I talked for awhile about violence in schools and things and how the world is basically crazy, and I just kept saying "da miedo,?eh?" which means "it makes you scared, huh?" she responded of course with a Sí, sí.
We get a lot more international news here than we do in the states but we still get a lot of news from the states, maybe the US and their ethnocentricity could work on that.  Apparenty this is the fourth school shooting in Germany in the last few years. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment