Wednesday, February 11, 2009


These past few days have been pretty good.  On Monday, like I said, we hiked the castle, which was awesome, then we met up with Armando to go to the school where I will be volunteering this semester.  I am going to be with a group of 17 year olds helping them with their English before exams in May.  I am excited and I think it will be fun to get to know them.  They seemed timid the first time we met them but I hope they will branch out.  I am thinking of bringing my photo albums and photos of my family so we can start talking about family, things like that, kind of to break the ice.  My friends Joe and Jimmy are also going to be with me.  

Monday I also received my Valentine's Day gift from Z.  The pearls he sent are absolutely beautiful and you can see them in the picture I post.  I am SO lucky to have such a great guy in my life.

Last night, Tues, I couldn't go to Guacamole night at Austin with my friends, BUT, I had a great reason not to.  Aurora's son in law, Juan Carlos', brother, Fele Pastor, is an actor who has been in 2 short films.  Last night was the second "corto" or short film exhibition that they have had for the releases of their films.  The directors name is Luis Soravilla and Fele is his main actor.  This one was titled Código 142 or something close to that, and the subtitle was (Mountains of Alicante).  It was about domestic violence and was made to make you think.  It was funny because the first part of the film was shot in the library at the University, and I thought, "I'm there every day!" The short film lasted about 20 minutes after a brief question and answer and thank you speech with the actor, director, a film critic from Alicante Arts Association and then some other guy named Juan Pedro.  I felt like I was in Hollywood!  Aurora's daughter Ana and her son in law Juanji, as she calls him, were also in it.  I have a confession-Juan Carlos (Juanji) is totally cute!  It just so happens he is one of four brothers and they are all extremely good-looking.  But, they are all older.  I think Juan Carlos is the youngest and he is 34 and married to Ana. They are all really nice though. Ana and Juan C. make an adorable couple.  They have been together since Ana was 15, now married with the cutest little daughter ever, Marina.  If I haven't posted pics of Marina yet, I need to!  Last night I also met a ton of Aurora's family.  Her sister, Lola, came, and her niece Amalia who I have already met, and Aurora's cousin Juana.  She is very energetic.  Ana hadn't even ever met her before, and I got to meet her!

After the film viewing we went into this other room and had refreshments and finger food.  Delicious.  I got really warm and was sweating but none the less I had fun.  I talked with Beatriz and Ana, Aurora's daughters, for a while, and her niece, and Juan Carlos.  It was my first time wearing heels since I have been here...so I was struggling a bit.  I also towered over everyone else.  I wore my jeans with the crease in them (my favorite ones) and the purple shirt I wore on New Year's, as well as my new coat I bought in Alicante at the market (NOT my green coat, my SPECIAL one).  I took a pic of myself before we left because we didn't take pictures there so you can see.  It wasn't anything special but I did wear heels!!!


Now that I have probably confused you with Juan Carlos's and Juanas and Juanji's, I'll let you go.  I am getting prepared for my trip this weekend to Portugal! Gotta book my hostel!!  Ahh..


I also got my schedule more or less worked out.


Monday-3:30-4:30pm volunteer

5:00-7:00pm Lit class

Tuesday-8:30-10:00am class

Wednesday-3:00-5:00pm class

  6:00-8:00pm class

Thursday -8:30-10:00am class

3:00-5:00pm class

Friday-travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment