Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spanish life is different.

I want to clarify a few things before anyone makes assumptions that they don't really know anything about.  Life in Spain is very different.  There are vast cultural differences, the greatest with food, drink, and nightlife habits.  I hope that on my blog posts it has not seemed like I have been partying and going crazy because I strongly assure you that I am not.  Although I get home late, Spanish bars do not open until 12 am.  In order to not stick out like an American, you cannot get to the Barrio before 11:30 pm or people will laugh and stare at you.  Contrary to popular belief, I do not believe I am not going out too much.  I am going out when my friends do, on the weekends; spending time with two 60 year olds, however, does not constitute going out, no matter how tired it makes me.  I don't understand how anyone could think that I party too much here.  I don't understand how anything I am doing here is any different from what I do at home or at Mizzou.  I go out on the weekends to have fun with my friends.  I am always safe about it.  I never let myself get out of control, EVER.  This last weekend, my friends went out Thurs, Fri, Sat, and then even Sunday night to watch the Super Bowl here which started at 1 am. ...But I only went out Friday night.   Maybe the difference here is that I am making it more public for everyone to see but I would like to share with you all everything I do and especially to outline those cultural differences.  People take 4 hours to eat a meal here and finish a bottle of wine with it.  Normally, I don't drink it with them, but instead order maybe 1 beer and then water, with a meal.  It is customary to drink some type of alcohol while out to a meal, and it is looked down upon if you don't.  I know I always have the possibility to refuse, which I have, such as last Saturday when I was out to dinner and then when Aurora showed me the bars in the Barrio.  I did not drink that entire night.  I hope everyone understands that and I hope that I have made myself clear.  

3 comments:

  1. Bryn,

    The wonderful world of blogging! When you make alot of what you are doing 'public' people will form opinions.

    The FACT is you are a responsible person.

    Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never make it in Spain. I can barely stay awake until 10:00PM, let alone go out at midnight. It sounds like Eva is an awesome teacher and person. She'd probably get fired at a U.S. university for expressing herself like she does over there. Love, Mom Z.
    P.S. Matt (aka Zonkers) is right.

    ReplyDelete