Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bryn in the Kitchen

Hi there all! I've recently become quite the baker at my house here in Spain. Be it because I'm missing the delicious baked goods of my grandma or simply because I'm bored on the weekends, things are turning out pretty well. Two weekends ago a made a chocolate chip banana bread and it turned out spectacular! Here they don't measure in cups or teaspoons so all my measurements are more or less estimations. In the end, to have something turn out well is such a delight. And...fun fact: I DONT HAVE AN OVEN!
How's it possible, you ask? A little toaster oven, (actually big enough to cook a pizza) and a lot of time! This little oven is really coming in handy for me, even if I have to leave it on a few more minutes than the recipe says. This morning I made an apple cobbler and its pretty good! Its a little gummy, I think i left it in there too long and could have used a little more sugar. Oh well, experimenting makes it better for next time.


In other news, I basically have my schedule all figured out finally and I have a bunch of hours of private lessons and I'm taking French which takes up some of my time. Yesterday I talked to Leigh and we were able to say a few things back and forth. My class is 2 hours long twice a week, so we learn a LOT at a time.

Last night was a surprise party at my house for my roommate Noemi's boyfriend, Mario. He was turning 26. We had everyone come over at 10:00 (i know, late huh?) and then Mario was supposedly coming at 10:30 because Noemi was "going to prepare him a birthday dinner." Suprise! Not true. We had fun and after we ate and had cake at home, we went out.

Later I might try to make applesauce (i have a TON of leftover, old apples) and then this weekend Fernando is coming from Burgos and I'm going to make banana nut bread. We have a puente (or bank holiday) and I have Mon and Tues off! Spectacular!

Miss everybody! Go Cards! Never been so proud to be from St. Louis! Happy happy birthday to Leigh and Uncle Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment