Sunday, July 11, 2010

My fateful trip to Edmonston, MD



I was very excited to visit Edmonston, Md especially because I have just found out with genealogy documents sent from Grandma Jean that the Edmonston anscestors probably founded it. I was, however, disappointed with what I found. I figured out you could take the metro then a bus to get to Edmonston. I thought it would be kind of a small town. Well, no. I took the metro way out north east and should have remembered that anywhere E of DC is a bit questionable. All I found in Edmonston was a dilapidated ghetto populated by a vast majority (think 70%) of Hispanics (which was cool to me!) and probably 30% black. For the last hour of my transit rides I was the only white non Hispanic person on there, not a big deal, just a point to help explain. So anyway I went, walked around for one minute, passed Edmonston Rd, entirely populated by Mexican-Americans it would seem, because out of every other house hung a huge Mexican flag and all you heard from all the shops and cars was Spanish music. I walked past a repair shop blasting Mexican pop and then past a few restaurants, grocery stores whose signs were entirely in Spanish. That was pretty neat to me, but I didnt feel too comfortable walking around after the 47 people who yelled at me or honked out their car. (I was wearing a sweater) so I went back to the bus stop and sat with an African American man who kept talking bu I couldn't understand him so I just kept nodding.
And THAT was my Edmonston, MD experience. Ha! Guess a lot has changed since Capt James Edmonston had his plot of land there in the 1740's.

On a lighter note, here is me eating a piece of pizze three times the size of my head!

1 comment: